Spanish Dictation Exercises
Dictation exercises, aka dictados, are a classic way to practice Spanish listening comprehension, writing, and spelling at the same time, and there’s a huge variety of them on my co-branded site, Progress with Lawless Spanish. These self-scoring exercises are available exclusively to Premium PwLS subscribers.
Every week, we publish different levels of dictation exercises. You start by listening to a Spanish audio file in its entirety to get a sense of the topic and vocabulary you might encounter. Then you listen to just one phrase and type what you hear:
Next, you’re provided with the correct answer and a scorecard. Rate your transcription from 0 to 5, then move onto the next phrase.
At the end, your scores are totaled, and you’re provided with the list of grammar topics covered in the dictation so that you can brush up on anything that you had trouble with during the exercise.
Weekly dictation exercises are included in Premium PwLS accounts but you can get a taste with these free samples. Please note that you need to be logged into your account to take them, so you may be prompted to log in or to create an account.
- Level A1: Inma y su familia
- Level A2: Una semana divertida
- Level B1: Los novios… ¿Me caso con Alfredo o no?
- Level B2: Preparándome para el otoño
(Explanation of levels)
Hundreds of dictados
A huge index of dictados (levels A1 through C1) is available for Premium PwLS subscribers, with new ones added every week. Here’s how to get those:
1) If you already have a Premium PwLS account, go to communications preferences or click “modify communications preferences” at the end of any PwLS email. Put a check next to “system communications,” save, and then keep an eye on your email every Friday , and then keep an eye on your email every Friday for the Weekend Workout (which also includes writing challenges).
2) If you have a free PwLS account, upgrade to Premium and then opt into "system communications" as above.
3) If you don’t have a PwLS account, you’re in for a pleasant surprise, because dictados are just the tip of the iceberg. Progress with Lawless Spanish is a state-of-the-art program that can supercharge your Spanish learning at any level. You start by taking a comprehensive proficiency test and then the A.I. designs your personalized study plan, updating it every time you take a kwiz so that you’re always improving and moving forward – learn more.
Lawless Spanish vs PwLS
What’s the difference between Lawless Spanish and Progress with Lawless Spanish?
- Lawless Spanish is the site you’re on right now (www.lawlessspanish.com). This is the free site on which I write comprehensive lessons, create practice exercises, and share everything I know about Spanish. It’s related to yet distinct from
- Progress with Lawless Spanish (progress.lawlessspanish.com), which offers mini lessons and a personalized study plan. There’s a free version (limited to 10 kwizzes / month) and a paid, unlimited version with additional features.
You can assign homework and track your students’ PwLS progress with a free Studygroup account.
Share / Tweet / Pin Me!