Dictation exercises, aka dictados, are a classic way to practice Spanish listening comprehension, writing, and spelling at the same time, so I’m thrilled to announce that they are now available on my co-branded site, Progress with Lawless Spanish. These self-scoring exercises are available exclusively to PwLS and Kwiziq subscribers.
Every week, we publish different levels of dictation exercises. You start by listening to a Spanish audio file in its entirety to get a sense of the topic and vocabulary you might encounter. Then you listen to just one phrase and type what you hear:
Next, you’re provided with the correct answer and a scorecard. Rate your transcription from 0 to 5, then move onto the next phrase.
At the end, your scores are totaled, and you’re provided with the list of grammar topics covered in the dictation so that you can brush up on anything that you had trouble with during the exercise.
Weekly dictation exercises are included in Premium PwLS accounts but you can get a taste with these free samples. Please note that you need to be logged into your account to take them, so you may be prompted to log in or to create an account.
- Level A1: Inma y su familia
- Level A2: Una semana divertida
- Level B1: Los novios… ¿Me caso con Alfredo o no?
- Level B2: Preparándome para el otoño
(Explanation of levels)
More dictation exercises are available for Premium PwLS subscribers, with new ones added every week. Here’s how to get those:
1. If you already have a Premium PwLS account, click “unsubscribe or modify your communications preferences” at the end of any PwLS / Kwiziq email and put a check next to “system communications.” Then keep an eye on your email every Friday for the Weekend Workout (which also includes writing challenges).
2. If you have a free PwLS account, upgrade to any of our Premium packages and opt into "system communications" as explained above.
3. If you don’t have a PwLS account, you’re in for a pleasant surprise, because writing challenges are just the tip of the iceberg. Progress with Lawless Spanish is powered by Kwiziq, a state-of-the-art program that can supercharge your Spanish learning at any level. You start by taking a comprehensive proficiency test and then the A.I. designs your personalized StudyPlan, updating it every time you take a kwiz so that you’re always improving and moving forward. Find out more about this unique software.
What’s the difference between Lawless Spanish, Progress with Lawless Spanish, and Kwiziq?
- Lawless Spanish is the site you’re on right now (www.lawlessspanish.com). This is the 100% free site on which I write lessons, create practice exercises, and share everything I know about Spanish.
- Progress with Lawless Spanish (progress.lawlessspanish.com) is my co-branded site, which offers mini lessons and a personalized study plan. There’s a free version (limited to 10 kwizzes / month) and a paid, unlimited version with additional features.
- Kwiziq is the company that powers PwLS.
You can track your students’ progress in PwLS by creating a free StudyGroup.